Setting up a new wiki user
Only users with accounts can edit the internal medicine wiki. Only members of the administrator group can set up these accounts.
set up mediawiki account
- check if user already exists: User List; if not, create account
- click Special:CreateAccount or go to special pages and click the "Create account" link
- enter the person's login id (all lowercase, might include numbers) into the "Username" field
- click checkbox "Use a temporary random password and send it to the specified email address"
- the email address - make sure this is correct, the wiki will use it to send the user a password
- enter the full real name in "Real name (optional)"
- click "Create account" button
- email the person to explain to them that they now have a wiki account and direct them to the UmIntMed Wiki Users Guide.
set up person page
- set up their person page, see Creating a new person page
create re-direct from user account
- redirect their user page to their person page
- open Special:ListUsers and click on the new user's red link
- add the following to the article, replacing <name of their article> with the actual one:
#redirect:[[<name of their article>]]
- save the article
Only members of the administrator group on the wiki have rights to set up a new user. To make a user an administrator:
- copy the user name and go to Special:Userrights and paste the name there; click "Edit user groups" button
- check the checkbox for administrator and click the "save user groups" button.