Research Staff

From U of M Internal Medicine Wiki

General practices in research are performed by the Principal Investigator (PI). Common practice often requires research staff to help execute the research. PI's require a team of staff such as research nurse(s) or research assistant(s) funded through the SPA or FOAP to recruit study patients and complete paperwork as per the terms of the research project.

The Physician Services Manager(s) should be consulted before any research staff are hired. Policies and procedures vary between Health Sciences Centre and University of Manitoba. Research staff such as Research Assistants and Research Nurses are union employees governed by collective agreements in various associations such as CUPE; AESES; MNU; and EMAPS (EMAPS is not a union, it is an association). Both at the University of Manitoba and Health Sciences Centre, Human Resources departments also need to be consulted before any letter of offers are considered when hiring research staff.

The Department of Internal Medicine recognizes the importance of research activities; it is also important to follow due diligence as healthcare is a unionized environment.

Hiring Research Staff at U of M

Interro-01.gif Some of this is also discussed more broadly at Resignations and status changes for WRHA Employees and How to Hire a New WRHA Employee - should we break out those things that are common to all WRHA employees to there? User:Ttenbergen 18:12, 4 October 2018 (CDT)

  • Hiring research staff at the University of Manitoba requires consultation with the Physician Services Manager and the PI's FOAP needs to have sufficient funds before any EFT is considered. ie) Research Assistant, Research Associate, Research nurse. Paperwork for some research staff (research assistant, research nurse) requires a position profile, a job description, or both, depending on whether the position is brand new or considered a sofa position (a sofa position is one that is the same as another position - ie. more than one research assistant that works for one P.I.), All brand new hires require PIF, banking information, SIN # if the new hire is from outside of the University. When the paperwork is completed it is emailed to HRIS Financial Services at UM who will ensure the FOAP has sufficient funds. Subsequently, a position # will be created. After a position # is created, payroll onboards the new staff member in VIP and the Physician Services Manager communicates with the new employee and ensure the onboarding process is completed. The Physician Services Manager will supply the new employee with a timesheet, timekeeper and provides details on specifics to the position ie) how to submit hours of work each week, ID badge etc.

Note: For Research Associate, Research Affiliates and other academic research positions require a separate Letter of Offer. These letters of offer and instructions can be found on the following link:

Interro-01.gif Is there an IT component to the stuff below? User:Ttenbergen 15:23, 1 November 2018 (CDT)

Hiring Research Staff at HSC

Extending Research Nurse a HSC

  • Contact HRSS to create an Employee Status Form (ESF) for an extension

Finance requires the Physician Services Manager to complete a Position Budget Request Form (PBRF) to ensure sufficient funds are available to support the EFT.

Termination of Research staff at U of M

  • A letter of resignation is required by the employee.
  • A cessation form located on the University of Manitoba website needs to be completed by the Physician Services Manager.

Termination of Research staff at HSC

Related articles

Related articles: