Program Secretary II - Rheumatology
The Program Secretary II - Rheumatology supports the section of Rheumatology. The role is currently held by:
There are no infosystems registered for this role
Declare if this role will be shown by Template:Person No
See also: Program Secretary - Rheumatology
|Dr. Annaliese Tisseverasinghe||Maria Dungca|
|Dr. Carol Hitchon||Maria Dungca|
|Dr. Christine Peschken||Leanne Schmidt|
|Dr. David Robinson||Leanne Schmidt|
|Dr. Hani El-Gabalawy||Leanne Schmidt|
|Dr. Konstantin Jilkine||Maria Dungca|
|Dr. Liam O'Neil||Maria Dungca|
- Support staff to:
- Answers the primary phone line (204-787-1851) at RR149 and transfers where appropriate. Also, answers call coming from physicians’ private lines: Dr. Carol Hitchon, Dr. Konstantin Jilkine and Dr. Annaliese Tisseverasinghe (after four rings call is transferred to 204-787-1851).
- Phone calls related to clinical concerns such as appointments, prescription refill, EDS coverage renewal, lab req, and other clinical issues are transferred to Clinic (204-787-2392).
- Receive calls from patients following up their insurance forms submitted for completion of Dr. Christine Peschken/Dr. David Robinson/Dr. Hani El-Gabalawy/Dr. Carol Hitchon/Dr. Annaliese Tisseverasinghe or Dr. Konstantin Jilkine. Check the status of the form and notify the caller.
- All other incoming calls, determine nature and urgency of the call, handle routine matters, take and relay messages for physicians, triage and prioritize as needed.
- When Secretary II (Maria Dungca) is away (sick/vacation), phone will be forwarded to Program Secretary - Rheumatology, Leanne Schmidt at 204-787-2208. Likewise, when Leanne Schmidt is away her phone will be forwarded to 204-787-1851.
- Program Secretary II - Rheumatology Maria Dungca receives all incoming mails for the Section of Rheumatology including mails for Pediatric Rheumatology, distributes mails accordingly. In Maria Dungca’s absence, Leanne Schmidtwill handle the mails.
- Open and date stamp all mails for Dr. Carol Hitchon, Dr. Annaliese Tisseverasinghe and Dr. Konstantin Jilkine, with the exception of “personal” and “confidential” mails.
- Journals received for Dr. Carol Hitchon, Dr. Annaliese Tisseverasinghe and Dr. Konstantin Jilkine put them on their in-tray inside their offices.
- Open and date stamp various types of disability and insurance applications (e.g. CPP medical report, disability assessment report, attending physician statement,Functional Abilities Form (FAF), return to work medical questionnaire, supplementary disability form, disability tax credit (DTC) certificate, DTC medical questionnaire,etc.) receives via mail and put on the pile of forms on physician’s offices (latest date rec’d is placed at the bottom of the pile).
- All lab test results, consult note and consult referral receives through mail are taken to clinic to be scanned into Accuro by the clinic clerks.
- Receive deliveries for research staff (Irene S, Melissa M, Maria S. and Sharon Hepburn). Signs delivery slip and phone/email research staff to pick up the delivery.
- To courier document or package see How to courier a letter or package
- Rheumatology office fax #: 204-787-2475.
- Retrieves and go through incoming faxes daily, as necessary.
- Routes faxes as follows:
- Clinic related documents received via fax takes to the clinic for clerk to be scanned into Accuro.
- Physicians put on the secretary’s desk when a disability/insurance form is filled out; form is ready to be sent out.
- Photocopy the completed form and fax a copy to clinic (74594)for EMR copy.
- See uninsured services billing guide for invoice amount, X:\Maria\Rheumatology\Invoice\BILLING_INSURANCE COMPANIES.doc
- Prepare an invoice, template: X:\Maria\Rheumatology\Invoice\Invoice- Formatted_29Apr2016.doc, See link: X:\Invoice Log_Rheum_11Apr2016.xls for invoice #.
- Print two copies of invoice, one copy for insurance company or patient (if the patient is responsible for the fee) and one copy to place in MD Practice Solutions’ in-tray for billing purposes.
- If a form is to be picked up, put it in an envelope and label with the patient’s name and give to one of the clinic clerks (RR163).
- Write or label the envelope with patient's name, as necessary.}}
- Patients drop off and pick up disability forms at the Rheumatology Clinic (RR163).
- See Physician Billing
- Physicians put clinic sheets on secretary’s desk after their clinics. Photocopy the clinic sheet (two copies), one copy for database in-tray (pile at the back of RR149) and one copy for office file (binders on top shelf labeled with doctors’ name). Courier the original clinic sheets to MD Practice Solutions Inc., see Physician Billing Services
- Pick up “faxed” prescriptions, refills, EDS approval, etc. from the secretary’s in-tray in RR163 and mail out to MD Practice Solutions.
- Print the infusion sheets (Nurse Infusion and B1 infusion) from Accuro every Monday which covers the preceding week (Mon-Fri). Distribute copies of the infusion sheets to referring rheumatologists to write the billing code. Physicians will return sheets with billing code; send them to MD Practice Solutions.
Cash Payments for Completed Disability Form
- Follow process in Processing Patient Payment.
Outlook Calendar Management
- Enters on physicians’ calendar schedules such as clinic bookings, meeting, conference call, on-call schedule, tutorial, lecture, pharm reps appointment, core curriculum, research meeting, Clinic Teaching Unit (CTU), grand rounds, resident noon rounds, etc. Attach on the calendar appt. any relevant correspondence for physician’s reference.
- Set up a reminder for each appointment and make sure physicians’ calendar has the most up-to-date information.
- Set up calendar as recurrent for regular clinic bookings. There are times clinic clerks book add-on patients, secretary will be asked to add on physician’s calendar, however, there are instances clerks missed to notify the secretary. Check the Accuro regularly to ensure for most up-to-date clinic information.
- Physician asks secretary to set up a meeting on Outlook calendar. Organize the meeting by sending a doodle scheduling to find a date and time works for all the participants. Sends meeting invite and attach pertinent correspondence to the meeting appt. for physician’s reference.
- Put into calendar any other appointments requested by the physicians.
- Mark physicians’ calendar on all away dates e.g. vacation, conference, seminar, retreat, etc. Secretary’s planned absence is advised to put on their calendar as well.
- Receives dictation tapes from physicians for typing, mostly replies to request for additional medical information (e.g. reconsider disapproved disability tax credit application, narrative medical report, out of province care or travel subsidy, work restrictions, or any other request of patient’s medical information, etc.)
- Composes variety of correspondence requested by patient (e.g. return to work, off work, sick note, escort, air travel, letter stating diagnosis/med. condition, work restriction, jury duty, bus pass, etc.), and other various kinds of letters.
- Send a copy of the signed letter to clinic clerk to be scanned into Accuro.
- Phones patient when letter is ready to pick up/mail or fax.
Rheumatology Call Schedule (DOCSS)
- Checks the Google doc master call for attending’s monthly schedule at (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CelmtpsQc8Jo-FMPBBaMDNp61XqBHGyKbihq96UljLU/edit?pref=2&pli=1) Prepares a draft rheumatology monthly call schedule.
- Email the draft schedule to Marie Field(Program Administrator - Rheumatology) who will send to a resident in charge of completing day and night calls. Marie Field sends out the final call schedule.
- Prepares a DOCSS scheduling sheet - template: X:\Maria\Rheumatology\DOCSS Call Scheduling\Guide - DOCSS\Scheduling Sheet - template - Feb 2018.doc
- Enters the rheumatology monthly calls schedule into the DOCS scheduling system by providing a billing code, dates of calls and no. of calls, per attending, etc.
- After successfully completing the schedule a fax back report is printed. Carefully examine the schedule for any incorrect entries, if no mistakes are found the process is done.
- Post the report at the bulletin board located at the secretary’s workstation for reference.
- Receives monthly call fax report at the beginning of each month from , check if entries are correct then file report on the DOCSS binder (light blue).
- New GFTs must be added to the DOCSS system before call. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org when adding a new doctor to rheumatology. Provides the following information: First three digits of Rheumatology access code, Program name, Position name, Doctors code (4-digit billing code), MD’s name and contact number (pager/cell #).
- Rheum. Consults
- When physicians come off call, they usually have consult forms (yellow sheets) given to secretary which must be logged in on the section journal (blue, copied and filed in flexi folders on top of filing cabinets. The original yellow sheet goes to Physician Billing Services.
- There are also some small index cards that have been addresso-graphed. These also go to Physician Billing Services for billing.
Rotating Resident mid-term assessment and end of rotation meetings
- Coordinate between rheumatology rotating residents and Dr. Annaliese Tisseverasinghe to work out on a date and time works for them to schedule mid-assessment and end of rotation meeting (in-person or phone conversation).
- Mid-term assessment and end of rotation meeting occurs every 2nd and 4th week of each rotation period.
- A week before the meeting, secretary sends an email to the physicians asking for their feedback on residents’ rotation. The email is being sent only to physicians the residents had clinic with – check clinic schedule for this.
- Enter into Dr. Annaliese Tisseverasinghe's calendar and set up a reminder.
- Sends meeting reminders via email to Dr. Annaliese Tisseverasinghe and residents.
- Updates and maintains physicians’ common CV and paper CV (word doc).
- Once a month secretary checks the PubMed to see if there is new publication of Dr. Carol Hitchon, Dr. Annaliese Tisseverasinghe and Dr. Konstantin Jilkine.
- Copy and paste new publications from Pubmed into the Canadian Common CV, and update paper CV.
- Checks physician academic activities from the teaching tracking record and update Common CV.
- Copy and paste conference publications from the conference websites (CRA meeting, EULAR meeting and ACR meeting) into Common CV.
- Updates CV on Google docs of two physicians (e.g. research, scholarly activities, and academic teaching activities, awarded grants, etc.).
Rheumatology Patient Partner Sessions
- Rotating Residents/Medical Student Patient Partner Session(s)
- Send an email to Patient Partner (PP) Coordinator: Corrie Billedeau (email@example.com) to set up a meeting between a patient partner and each new incoming resident and medical student rotating in rheumatology clinic.
- Checks the PP list in excel file (\\Hsc1msfp0001\med_rheum_letters\Maria\Rheumatology\Patient Partner\PP List.xls) to make sure resident and med. student had not attended a session yet.
- Send an email to Corrie B. inquiring who would be available to do the patient partner session.
- Set up a date and time that works for PP and resident/med student.
- Checks with clinic clerks (Crystal/Liubov) if there’s an available exam room in clinic to use for the session.
- Finalize the date and time with the PP and send an email to the rotating resident/med student with attach information regarding the PP session, ask the resident to confirm attendance.
- Sends a reminder email to PP and resident/med student before the session.
- Update and print the 2018-19 PP sessions in word doc \\Hsc1msfp0001\med_rheum_letters\Maria\Rheumatology\Patient Partner\2018-2019 Resident Schedule.doc showing the session’s date and time as well as the resident’s name and PP’s name, post it at the secretary’s bulletin for reference.
- Update the PP list in excel file after a resident/medical student session has been done for future reference.
Patient Partner Meetings
- Corrie Billedeau (Patient Partner) notifies PP secretary via e-mail about dates and times (usually 9am-1pm) of future PP meetings.
- There are usually 8-10 participants at the meeting.
- Secretary to book the RR112 boardroom, if not available, another option would be the RS205 (2nd Floor, Rehab-Resp. Bldg.).
- Sends the schedule of PP meetings to Leanne Schmidt to book on Dr. David Robinson’s calendar.
- Secretary then creates and submits catering orders thru HSC Catering website. https://forms.manitoba-ehealth.ca/hsc/catering/catering.asp. For Patient Partners catering use account X328 for transfer on the HSC Catering website.
- Receives reply from HSC-Catering Thyme stating confirmation of orders.
- Give a copy of catering confirmation to PSM - Rheumatology with an explanation of what the catering is for.
- Make sure food is enough for 8-10 people.
- A day before the meeting remind HSC Catering about the order and ensure food is delivered on time (usually at 11:45am)
Patient Partner Mileage Claims
- Receives a list of mileages consumed by PP in attending meetings and PP sessions.
- Prepare a cheque requisition form and obtain signatures PSM - Rheumatology and Dr. David Robinson).
- Photocopy the signed form and receipts for file of PSM - Rheumatology and keep a scanned copy on the file share (X) for future reference.
- Submit the originals to WRHA Finance Division, 791 Notre Dame Avenue, Winnipeg, MB R3E 0M1.
Notice of Absence
- Take care of Physician absence notification as needed.
Clinic Planned Absence/ Clinic Cancellation in Accuro
- Physician gives to secretary the dates they’re planning to be away from the center such as vacation, out-of-town meeting/conference, teaching commitments, etc.
- Prepares a clinic planned absence request or clinic cancelation, whichever is necessary.
- Obtain physician’s signature then scan into Outlook e-mail.
- Submit via email to Louise Cameron (cc: clinic clerks), Louise’s email add is on global address.
- Make sure away dates are blocked off on physician’s calendar.
- File signed form on the red thin binder.
- Cancellations of clinic less than 30 days require section head’s approval.
Triplicates Prescription Pads
- Rheumatology nurse (Tom/Lori) notifies the secretary when doctor’s triplicate pads are almost finished.
- Send orders for triplicate prescriptions to Manitoba Prescribing Practices Program via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Indicate physician’s name and CPSM licences no.
- When triplicate pads are received, label the pads (1 of 1 to 4) so nurses are aware when the last pad is in used and need to place an order soon.
Travel/Business Claim (Concur Travel & Expense)
- Creating an expense report in Concur Travel & Expense - for Dr. Carol Hitchon, Dr. Annaliese Tisseverasinghe and Dr. Konstantin Jilkine
- See Travel - WRHA
GFT / Dean's Travel Fund
- Secretary set up a conference call as needed; rheumatology section has a teleconference functional code. Ask the PSM - Rheumatology or Program Secretary - Rheumatology for the code.
- Provides leader PIN # to the meeting leader/organizer and a dial in number and conference code to all participants when sending the conference invite.
- Inform PSM about the date and time of call, if it is for a research study get from the requesting physician the account # to charge the bill. Make sure there is no other call set up at the same time with the same code.
- Submits annual scholarly activities report of physicians (Dr. Carol Hitchon, Dr. Annaliese Tisseverasinghe and Dr. Konstantin Jilkine).
- Check the physicians Common CV, PubMed, etc. to get some of the required information.
- Sends the draft reports done for each physician via email for review/deletion/addition prior to final submission.
- Submits report to Leanne Schmidt (she compiles the section's annual report).
Physicians Clinic Information
- Dr. Carol Hitchon has clinic Tuesday (mornings) and Wednesday (mornings). She has no clinic between Christmas and New Year.
- Dr. Annaliese Tisseverasinghe has clinic Monday (mornings), Tuesday (mornings), and Wednesday (afternoons). Dr. Annaliese Tisseverasinghe usually cancels her clinic during the weeks she’s on Clinical Teaching Unit (CTU).
- Dr. Konstantin Jilkine has clinic Monday (mornings), Tuesday(afternoons), Wednesday (afternoons), and Friday (mornings). Once a month on Thursday afternoon he has tele-health clinic.
- Each physician has a Fellow’s clinic once a month on a Friday (with the exception of Dr. Carol Hitchon). Melissa Blonjeaux provides the clinic schedule.
- Clinic clerks usually notifies secretary when there are add on/scramble clinic, check the Accuro from time to time for most up-to-date clinic information.
- Secretary II provides assistance to physicians with their grant submissions by:
- Maintaining their paper CV’s and updating their Canadian Common CV (online).
- Photocopy and hand deliver grant application (Health Sciences Centre Foundation), courier (MMSF). CIHR grants applications are submitted electronically by the physician/researcher directly.
- Drop off or pick up research documents (i.e. ethics approval, grants, etc.), as instructed.
- Obtain signatures of co-investigators, Department Head, VP-Dean of Research (ORS), prior to submission.
- Coordinate with research staff including (Sharon Hepburn) Research Nurse, (Mellissa Moyen & Maria Sevilla) Research Technicians, and Irene Smolik (PhD) for research meeting (with Dr. Carol Hitchon/Dr. Annaliese Tisseverasinghe), etc.
- Converts PDF file to word doc to edit/modify questionnaires of research study patients, when asked.
- Clinic clerk asks secretary to pull out old private chart of a patient from inactive files.
- Prepares necessary paperwork for:
- ID Badge & Access: badge request/replacement
- Keys for offices/clinics: key request/transfer/lost
- Pagers: MTS pager
- Accessing WRHA email from a personal cell phone: WRHA e-mail access to blackberry, etc.
- Ordering Business Cards for UMG employees and GFTs: Prepares a draft business card request form and forward to physician for proofread. Send to UMG for printing. Physicians are billed for printing of business cards.
- Receives instruction from physicians to photocopy/mail patient’s laboratory test results (MRI, x-ray, blood work, CT) or consult letters to other physician outside of HSC.
- Receives phone calls from Medical Records requesting back old HSC chart, locate chart and sends back to Medical Records.
- Set up meeting between physicians and pharmaceutical reps.
- Maintains record of daily tasks for future reference.
- Maintains record of clinic sheets received for future reference.
- Performs other tasks assigned by physicians from time to time.
- Collects Confidential waste from physician's offices and manages disposal.
- Secretary is asked to provide assistance with compiling statistical information for sectional productivity updates requested by the Department of Internal Medicine. Get the required information from physician’s CV and Pubmed and send to Leanne Schmidt to include report on the section's Annual Performance Review.
- Maintains a tracking record of academic hours, e.g. teaching, presentation, major meeting attendance, etc., X:\Maria\CME Hours\Y2018\CME_Dr. Hitchon 2018.doc, X:\Maria\CME Hours\Y2018\CME _ Dr. Tisseverasinghe 2018.doc, file in drive X:\Maria\CME Hours\Y2018\CME_Dr. Jilkine 2018.doc and sends to physicians every 1st week of January. CME hours is required by Royal College of Physicians of Canada (RCPC) for maintenance of CME certification. Submission deadline is January 31st of every year.
- Provides secretarial coverage to co-worker (Leanne Schmidt) when away.