The Program Secretary - Gastroenterology provides secretarial support for the Section of Gastroenterology. See #Responsibilities.
The role is currently held by:
SECRETARY III – GASTROENTEROLOGY
INTRODUCTION AND GENERAL OFFICE DUTIES
- Answers phones for Gastroenterology Offices (789-3369 & 480-1311) as well as any call transfers.
- Patients phoning regarding insurance papers or any other documents left with physicians for signatures etc., take their name, phone number and check with physicians.
- All other incoming calls, determine the nature and urgency of the call, handle routine matters, take and relay messages for physicians and priorities as needed.
- Leave detailed message on voicemail when absent directing callers to proper back ups.
- Cover other staff in office for sick relief or vacation as needed.
- Make appointments with drug reps for the doctors.
Fax and photocopy
- Check fax machine regularly for any incoming faxes from 787-4063 (Jenalyn for Dr. Michael Cantor's Radiology Rounds).
||Which fax machine is this (someone who covers might not know this)?
||Who is Jenalyn, and how are the rounds related to the fax? Is that the only thing that arrives on that fax?
- Fax prescriptions to pharmacies as requested by the physicians, photocopy and send one to Physician Billing Services and file original on HSC chart.
- Fax and/or photocopy any insurance, MPI, WCB or disability documents, and send to billing Physician Billing Services and keep copy in binders. These copies do not go on HSC chart.
- These packages are picked up every Monday morning, #1 for Dr. Bernstein AND #2 for Dr. Targownik, Dr. Cantor & Dr. Singh.
||What do the numbers #1 and #2 mean in this case?
In-patient consults from hsc and other hospitals
- Consults are faxed to us from HSC and other hospitals.
- They are to be sent down to clinic to be scanned to Accuro.
- Should we send a fax back when we receive these to instead fax the clinic directly? That could be as easy as having a standard reply sitting next to the fax for each doctor (or better yet, one for all so sending clinics can update all the info) and returning it to the sending number. Something that tells them that we have forwarded the current fax onward but to update their documentation.
- Cost Centre # (SAP): 10400279
- Accept and distribute any mail to physicians and deliveries received.
- Sign for deliveries from Fedex etc.
- Do HSC payroll every Thursday.
- Send DOCSS in each month for physicians in the section for their on-call schedule (See Appendix # 3)
||No Appendix in wiki, so where is this data located? We may not be able to put the data itself on the public wiki, but we still need to put where it is.
- On Monday, collect all billings and send to Physician Billing Services
- Help other staff in office when needed.
- Check bulletin board for old notices, take down and replace with new ones.
||Where is the bulletin board?
- which database is this? To be able to update it, do you need an account? Do we have a page for this yet in Information Systems?
- Look for patient private charts in the office if the doctor needs the chart for clinic.
- I imagine these offices are locked, right? How would a secretary covering be able to access these? Like, don't put here where you hide the key! But give the covering person instructions on how to find them that don't cause security issues. This might mean "talk to your PSM about access to the offices" but then the PSMs need to know...
- Mail Endoscopy and Gastroenteroscopy Reports to referring physicians and send copies to clinic to be scanned to Accuro.
- how do the reports get to you in the first place?
- Photocopy forms for patients and for chart and enclose Statement of Account billing and one copy goes to Physician Billing Services
- Collect all billing (6 month cut-off period from the date of service for claim submission effective January 1, 2018) from all the physicians and on Monday send to:
Physician Billing Services
The official contact for Gastroenterology is:
- Rosario Padilla
- Office No. (204) 988-4869
- Fax No.: (204) 988-4870
Supplies, maintenance, housekeeping
- Order any supplies as needed from the Warehouse (SAP).
- Order office supplies from Grand & Toy. See Purchase office supplies
- Process any key requests Keys for offices/clinics must be signed off by manager.
- Order billing cards and letterhead from Print Shop as needed (see attached sample).
||* No attachments on the wiki, so where would a replacement find this? Also, how do we actually use letterhead these days - don't we just print it as part of letters?
Section meetings and minutes
- Rehab Medicine Section Meetings
- held the first Monday of each month except July and August and are held in the Rehab Board Room starting at 5:00 PM
- The Minutes of the meeting and Agenda are sent out at least a week ahead of time and a copy is kept in a binder on filing cabinet.
- Participate and take minutes at the Rehab Medicine Section meeting and transcribe minutes of meeting.
- The section meetings are confidential and any information discussed at these meetings shall be kept confidential and released to individuals on a need to know basis or on the approval or at the request of the Section Head - Gastroenterology only.
- GI Research Meeting are held the first Thursday of each month and are held at the JBRC800 Boardroom.
- The Minutes of the meeting are sent out the day of meeting and a copy is kept in a binder on filing cabinet.
||Do you do these? If so, to what extent do you follow what is at Physician absence notification? Please see if you have anything to contribute to that page, and put additional destinations you might send to here.
This role uses the following applications:
||Tom, do these people all use a common infosystem / software? If so, please fill in in line above and remove this comment.
This role uses the following file shares:
||Tom, do these people all use a common file share? If so, please fill in in line above and remove this comment.