Processing Patient Payment
This page describes how to process patient payments for #applicable services
- Only the File:3rd Party invoice template for Support Staff.xltx is to be used. There should be no attachment with the invoice. The invoice should have clear description of services and recipient.
- Secretary may initiate invoice on behalf of physician
- A copy of the invoice must be sent to Physician Billing Services
- Physician Billing Services will be responsible for following up on payment, receive payment and deposit payment to UMG.
- In the event that support staff receives cash
there must be:
- A pre numbered duplicate receipt book in place
- Signs must be posted that clients must receive a receipt for any cash paid and received
- A log of all cash received must be kept which can be vouched back to the receipt book. This cannot be kept on a shared drive because of privacy issues.
- Copies of slates/procedures/ forms being paid for must be referenced and kept in a receipt book for 7 years for audit purposes.
- Where a deposit is to be made, the custodian of the cash received must contact UMG to expect receipt of cash.
- Whoever picks up the cash must be monitored to ensure the cash sent by the custodian gets to UMG
- In the event the cash is not received in UMG, UMG will notify the Managing Director to determine where the cash is.
- The custodian of the cash should ensure that the billing physician’s shows receipt of cash in their account.
Process as described by Rheumatology, needs to be integrated here
- Secretary to receive the cash from patient, as payment for a completion of disability form), issue a receipt to patient. Receipts booklet is on shelf left side of secretary's desk.
- Diane or Kasia will issue a receipt once they received the cash.
- UMG will then submit the cash to Physician Billing Services.
Services to which this process can apply are:
- filling out a form for a patient
- off-work or light-duty forms
- letter sent to the insurance company for a patient
- 75-80% of insurance forms brought in by patients will not be covered by the insurance company asking for the information. Most have a disclaimer right on the form saying the patient is responsible for costs incurred in the completion of the form.
do we have uniform rates for these? What are they? Ttenbergen 16:12, 22 November 2017 (CST)
Workers Comp and MPI billing
With regard to MPI or WCB, we would invoice either corporation based on the rates negotiated between those organizations and Doctors Manitoba. It is available [here].
How, if at all, does this relate to Uninsured patients?