Managing participants in LimeSurvey
The participant list is a list shared by the department to send invites. Most physicians will already be on this list, but you may need to add nurses, administrators, physicians from other departments, etc. Do not add Pharma reps to this list, they should not be invited to any accredited events as per department policy.
which policy is this, Relationships Between the Pharmaceutical Industry and Internal Medicine Residents? Relationships between the Department of Internal Medicine and Health Related Industries? Maybe in Relationships_between_the_Department_of_Internal_Medicine_and_Health_Related_Industries#General_Policies_for_Department_of_Internal_Medicine_Members.E2.80.99_Relations_with_Industry?.
Most physicians are already in the participant list in LimeSurvey. Some education coordinators also invite non-physician participants. These can be added manually or imported in bulk.
Including yourself as a participant
As a CPD Coordinator, it is a good idea to include yourself as a participant for any surveys you send out. This allows you to confirm that the email did go out, and that it looked as it needs to. Including yourself will not harm the system.
- Please email Herman Aubel (firstname.lastname@example.org) to add new participants.
If you have many participants to add, you may consider importing participants. If you only need to add a few then:
- Click "CPD Tracking" on the top left to go back to the root of the program and then click .
- Once in the Central Participant Management make sure the participant you want has not already been added; type the person’s first or last name, whichever is less common, using its corresponding box and the press the enter key on your keyboard:
- If you need to correct an entry, click on the “Edit this participant” button to the left of the entry.
- If you did not find the participant, click on “Add new participant”
- Fill out all the required info, at least First Name, Last Name and E-mail
- Also enter the options for the user in the Custom Attributes area, usually “Y”.
- Click to save the new participant.
- Share the participant with all users so your colleagues can add attributes and fix the email address:
- Look up the participant that you just added (See step 2)
- Click on the “Share this participant” button which is located to the left of the participant entry.
- From the dropdown menu select “Share with all users” and click on the button to the right of “Other users may edit this participant” so it changes into “Yes”. Lastly click on “Share” to save the changes.
Why can admins no longer edit their own participants?
We used to have a problem with multiple participant entries being made for the same participant. This caused problems during CPD Reporting when participants would receive broken up reports.
As of the start of 2019 only Herman Aubel and Tina Tenbergen are able to create new participants in the CPDB. We asked the Survey Administrators to send me an email if they need to create someone that way I can check for duplicates. Once the new entry has been created, the Survey Admins can edit it but not delete it.
Do not delete participants. We may need to stop sending future invites to participants. However, we may already have answers for that participant, which we would need to report at the end of the year. So, do not delete participants! To stop sending invites, edit their custom attributes and take out the letters for any sessions for which the participant should no longer receive invites.
- In LimeSurvey CPD Tracking, click on "Participants"
- Scroll to the right to find the section you are dealing with
- Scroll down to see a few lines with enteries to get an idea of the naming convention and what you will need to add
- We might need to write this up as part of the PA's documentation.
- Find the line of the participant you need to edit, and change the relevant sections's column as per naming convention
Changing email addresses for participants
Herman, I think it would work to just edit the participant entry, is that right? Not sure, especially in the new version of LimeSurvey. User:Ttenbergen 13:48, 21 December 2018 (CST)
- Yes, Survey Admins can edit the email address as long as it's not a duplicate I believe.
- But the way that the data is stored, will editing an email address at some point during the year orphan the earlier surveys so they don't show up in CPD Reporting, or is the data structure such that it would automatically re-link? User:Ttenbergen 22:56, 30 January 2019 (CST)}}
- From what I saw when I was working on the reports is that the table 1_combined_surveys has the current email address for the user and all the surveys the user was invited to. All that information is linked (joined) by the participant id in the CPD_participants table. So updating/changing the user's email address is not going to change the participant_id, just the email. It should't affect anything.