Interfacility Transfers - Physician Communication
|Policy:||Interfacility Transfers - Physician Communication|
|Policy Nr:||Sec 03 - 09|
|Target Review Date:||2017-12-31|
Transfers of care between care providers and care settings are common, and inadequate communication of patient information can lead to suboptimal care.
Guidelines for transfers within the WRHA Medicine program exist:
- Standards of Documentation for Patients Admitted to the Medicine Program
- Management of Medical Records
- Inter-hospital Transfer for WRHA Medicine Program
- WRHA Medicine Program Bed Policy
- Acceptance of Inpatients from Winnipeg Community Hospitals for Subspecialty Evaluation
The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Manitoba also provide guidelines for emergency interfacility transfer of patients.
This document serves to supplement these guidelines, and to clarify information which should be provided upon non-urgent interfacility transfer of patients.
The objective of this policy is to optimize communication about the care of patients who are transferred from a facility of the WRHA Medicine Program to other care facilities.
- Participating institutions will include the four Winnipeg hospitals that have WRHA Medicine program beds.
- It is the responsibility of the physician of record or delegate to provide relevant clinical data to the accepting physician or delegate upon transfer, or prior to transfer. The transferring physician should be available for oral communication.
- Documentation should include the following information:
- The name and contact information of the transferring physician.
- A note on the reason for admission and course in hospital.
- A list of medical problems.
- A list of medications.
- An indication for medications, and expected duration of medication use.
- The presence of any invasive tubes/devices, and any follow-up care plans.
- Pertinent laboratory results and diagnostic test results.
- Follow-up investigations and appointments, if any.
- The need for isolation procedures.
- Documentation of level of care.