This article explains how to process resident travel applications as per Resident Travel Guidelines.
- Residents must apply for a Travel Authorization for travel approval 45 days in advance of travel
- International meetings / meetings outside continental US are not covered unless a justification is provided and exception has been approved by both program director and Managing Director(Dale Gustafson) and /or Department Head(Dr. Eberhard Renner)
- Residents are entitled to one occurrence of 50-50 co-share with PGME per academic year (resident must be presenting ie abstract, poster or oral presentation and must be on the agenda of the conference, to qualify for PGME funding)
- Program Administrators should indicate clearly on the form if they are requesting the Travel Coordinator (Thorunn Petursdottir) apply for the 50-50 cost share
- To qualify for the 50-50 cost share with PGME, the resident must be presenting
If the travel is not cost shared, and not conference travel (ie for an exam, or just parking, then once the Managing Director
's signature is obtained, there is no need to send the form to the Travel Coordinator
, Program Admin keeps the original form till the expenses need processing
- Travel Coordinator will apply for 50-50 co-share with PGME - the requirement is that the resident must present at a conference (ie abstract, poster, oral presentation)
- Third party booking allowed for resident travel (residents may use any preferred booking method)
- All travel forms MUST be typed - both the Travel Authorization form & Travel Reimbursement form
- see a completed sample
- Hand written forms will NOT be processed, and will be returned.
- Residents and/or Program Administrator will complete U of M Travel Pre-Authorization form located here, and requires Program Director signature indicating approval prior to attending: http://umanitoba.ca/admin/financial_services/media/Travel_Preauthorization_Form.xlsx
- The FOAP must be listed as well as the expenses (FOAPs will not be listed here, Program Administrators currently have a list of FOAPs)
- Program Administrators should indicate clearly on the form their names on the form for administrative purposes
- In Section titled Business Purpose of Trip, indicate if Resident is presenting, or observing, or attending course
- Please remember to write 'Resident PGYX' at top right corner of both Travel Authorization form and Travel Reimbursement form
- If resident is not available to sign form, PA can sign on their behalf
- If changes are made \ handwritten, please also ensure changes are initialed by the Managing Director
- Please scan and email pre-authorization,
- as well as the Programme \ acceptance letter \ letter of request to present \ abstract \ poster acceptances \ meeting agenda
- Please email the scanned pre-authorization along with the Programme \ acceptance letter \ letter of request to present \ abstract \ poster acceptances \ meeting agenda to the Travel Coordinator (Thorunn Petursdottir) (instead of mailing forms, we are scanning to speed up the process)
If you are unsure about any aspect of the Travel Authorization or Travel Reimbursement forms (ie type of allowable expenses), please contact Amanda Kinnell, U of M Max Rady College of Medicine Senior Financial Officer at 204 789 3873. Amanda.Kinnell@umanitoba.ca for clarification.
Checklist for travel reimbursement applications
- Reimbursement expense forms must be submitted within 30 days of travel, in accordance with U of M Travel Policy. Claims past 30 days may not be accepted
- Travel Reimbursement Form can be found here [Note - it is new, and now 2-pages] http://umanitoba.ca/admin/financial_services/media/Guest_Student_Travel_and_Business_Expense_Claim_form.pdf
- Extra sheet to list FOAPs when expense list is long
- All travel forms MUST be typed - both the Travel Authorization form, and the Travel Reimbursement form
- Please also type Managing Director's name at the bottom (for legibility)
- Please remember to write 'Resident PGYX' at top right corner of both Travel Authorization form and Travel Reimbursement form.
- If you know whether the resident received 50-50 co-share from from PGME, please indicate in a note to the Travel Coordinator (Thorunn Petursdottir) for her reference so that she can process your form faster
- Resident must sign form (however PA can sign if resident is offsite for extended period)
- The FOAP must be listed as well as the expenses [FOAPs will not be listed here, Program Administrators currently have a list of FOAPs]
- Please see the attached link for Chart of Accounts: http://umanitoba.ca/computing/renewal/fm/media/AcctHierarchyExpenditures.htm [Note: for resident travel, since it is in North America, the codes are usually 713X08 - meaning, they usually start with 713, end in '08' [713008=airfare, 713108=hotel, 713308=per diem, 713608=Taxi, 713708=registration, 713508=Parking, 713908 Misc]
- Please see example
- Proof of conference Registration (ie letter of invitation, email invitation, invoice)
- Proof of payment of conference registration (ie receipt, credit card statement with charge highlighted)
- Conference Programme MUST be attached
- Photocopy of Conference ID Badge
- Proof of payment for flight travel (ie flight itinerary, credit card statement with charge highlighted)
- Seat upgrades are not an allowable expense and should not be listed
- Boarding passes print can be included
- If a flight itinerary has been provided however has not been claimed, list a reason why the flight is not being claimed
- Receipts for poster expenses must be itemized
- Hotel Folio for room charges and room taxes: Residents are encouraged to share accommodations to reduce overall costs. Residents may also ask the hotel to provide separate folios for each resident, listing resident name registered to the room, when room charges are split among residents. Residents are encouraged to request separate hotel folios for room charges from incidental charges, for faster processing of expenses (credit card statement with charge highlighted).
- Receipts for Ground Transportation
- Taxi receipts must be itemized - must list to-from locations: Pick up & drop off locations are required for taxis, in order to distinguish how these relate to University business
- Shuttle receipts
- Parking receipts - must list to-from locations
- in column labelled 'Currency Paid In", enter the currency used to pay for expense
- attach copy of both Travel Authorization Form, and, Approval Letter, along with receipts, to reimbursement form
- please tape receipts to blank paper (no staples) for ease of photocopying, write your name in top right corner of each page
- if the resident is missing a receipt for an expense, they must fill in the Missing Receipt Affidavit Form.
- one-sided printing
- When submitting final package - Please: Do Not use staples, please use either paper clips or binder clips
- When submitting paperwork please ensure your name, section, and address are on the paperwork
- Obtain Dale's Signature
- Please send a paper copy of correspondence to the Travel Coordinator (Thorunn Petursdottir) (please do not send it electronically, in order to avoid printing charges being incurred by that separate dept).
- Reimbursement will be available through either Direct Deposit or sent to the respective Program Administrator for distribution.
Reasonable expenses for meals may be reimbursed by:
- Actual Costs – claims for meals and incidentals must be listed separately on the expense claim including taxes and gratuity and supported by detailed receipts; or
- Per Diem Allowance – instead of being reimbursed for actual costs, a daily allowance may be allowed. Where this allowance is claimed no additional amount may be claimed for meals. The per diem allowance must be adjusted when meals are included in conference registration fees, in the event of a partial day’s travel, etc. Alcohol not allowed. Extra curricular activities that were paid for in addition to the registration fee. When registering, often, other additional events are offered, for additional fees. These activities are not included in the policy and are at the cost of the individual.
- The maximum per diem allowance for meals when travelling:
|Total Per Diem
|Asia/Latin America/Oceania $90
- Per diems claimed for which meals were provided at the conference can not be claimed
Please ensure to use the meal tracker form to list which meals are being claimed (form can be filled in electronically)
If you are unsure about any aspect of the Travel Authorization or Travel Reimbursement forms (ie type of allowable expenses), please contact Tracy Smith at 204-789-3568 for clarification.
||DOM will not take copies prior to submitting forms to Amanda Kinnell, U of M Max Rady College of Medicine Senior Financial Officer at 204-789-3873 - Amanda.Kinnell@umanitoba.ca. Program Administrator are encouraged to take copies prior to submitting forms to the Travel Coordinator (Thorunn Petursdottir)
The Travel Coordinator will:
||prepare letter to program
||copy forms, and return them with the approval letter to the respective Program Administrator: either by mail or scanned & emailed copy
||submit signed application to U of M Travel Services
Reimbursement will be available through either Direct Deposit or sent to the respective Education Coordinator for distribution.
- If you know whether the resident has had a 50-50 co-share from from PGME, please write a note to the Travel Coordinator (Thorunn Petursdottir) for her reference so that they can process your form faster
- In section “F – Payment Summary”, only code the portion of expenses which your department is covering. PGME will code their portion once received by PGME. If Internal Medicine pre-paid for the flight with your FOAP using U of M Travel Provider, this must be indicated somewhere on the form so Travel Services knows exactly how much the department has covered in total. If only claiming $500 in expenses, as an example, PGME will only match what DOM is paying, up the max of $1,000.
Note for Suzanne : HSC resident travel - Michelle Palmer 787-5627