How to Hire a New GFT
- 1 Steps in Hiring New GFT
- 2 Non-advertised positions
- 3 Advertised positions
- 4 Foreign applicants
- 5 "The Letter of Offer"
- 6 Final paperwork required
- 7 documentation updates required upon hiring
- 8 Copies of Contracts
- 9 parties to inform about new contracts
- 10 Related articles
Steps in Hiring New GFT
- Identify a position (vacancy/replacement or net new)
- Section Head completes application to recruit GFT questions. Application to Recruit New Faculty
- Secure office and clinic space/times
- Managing Director/Finance Manager to confirm/assign funding
- Managing Director/PSM Research Space and Support
- PSM to confirm admin support
- R2R completed and sent to Nancy Green MSAS with Application form 
R2R is returned
- If we know who we hire – then new contract (GFT)
- If we have to advertise then How to advertise a position
- Prepare advertisement
- Prepare search committee list memo
- UofM Advertising form
 - Advertising Guidelines
NEW Academic Advertising Steps:
Please include the U of M Diversity & Immigration Statement and FIPPA Statement in your ad; ensure the ad is 750 words or less otherwise University Affairs will reject the ad. For an example of an ad, see UM Careers and search ‘Full Time Academics.’ Email the ad (Word, not PDF) and completed Advertising Form for Academics  to firstname.lastname@example.org. Human Resources has established this single point of contact, which is regularly monitored to ensure your advertising needs are met in a timely manner. Human Resources logs your ad, sends it to Staff Relations and/or HR Consultants for approval, processes payment and coordinates posting on UM Careers, UM Today, CAUT and University Affairs. We will let you know when these steps have been completed, and give you the direct URL for the position on UM Careers. In this email, we copy Valerie Williams, HR Diversity & Inclusion Consultant, who will email you the link to the Equity Questionnaire. If additional external advertising is required, Human Resources will send your request to the U of M preferred supplier HR Adworks, cc’ing you. HR Adworks will provide a cost estimate that you will use to set up one PO. Please note U of M’s Supplier Payment Services requires departments to provide a PO to HR Adworks before posting the ad. Your quick turnaround time ensures your ad is posted in a timely manner. HR Adworks will email you the direct links to the publications to help you track and print your ads. You are responsible to monitor all publications for actual placement and MUST retain printed proof of ads for your records. HR will not retain printed proof of your ad. For CAUT, University Affairs, UM Today, and UM Careers, you need a print out that shows the start and end date of the posting. You need screen shots with dates, proving that the ad was published for 30 days. Copies of payment via EPIC are not accepted.
Applications come in – Search committee will vet and decide who to interview.
Set up a pre-screen phone interview or committee will ask for applicant to come to Winnipeg, in which you organize a full travel visit and itinerary (see below for more info)
Once candidate is selected – Complete Physician Contract
|This will need to be integrated with pages GFT and GFT Role to be in line with Storing employee onboarding information using this wiki.|
|Process does not mention Medical Staff Administrative Services, but the resident process mentions it a lot. Are they involved? If so please link from right part of this process and remove this comment. User:Ttenbergen 01:12, 3 November 2018 (CDT)|
For non-advertised, the Summary of Search can be sent at the time the letter is ready to go the Dean's office.
The summary of search form is found under the VP Academic Site on the University Website. See below under title 'Foreign Applicants' for link to actual form. You will need to get the Search Committee Members from the Managing Director. To view the structure of the search committee, click on link. Search Committee#GFT Search_Committee
For advertised positions, an advertised Summary of Search needs to be completed and signed by Department Head and the Chair of the Search Committee (which could be Department Head). The following gets sent to the Dean's office for approval in advance of the contract:
- Summary of Search (proposed search committee and ad are to be sent to Dean's office for approval first by email TBD, as above)
- Copy of ad itself
- Copy of ad that were in the specific Journals
- 3 reference letters on the incumbent
Note if this is a foreign recruitment, a Foreign Recruitment Summary, along with a Foreign Recruitment application Form must be completed by the Managing Director
Summary of Search and Foreign Recruitment forms are found: here
"The Letter of Offer"
Although we cannot send the letter to the Dean's office before the Summary of Search is approved, we can prepare the letter of offer in draft format, highlighting the areas you want the Managing Director to see for clarification.
When giving the letter to the Managing Director, give the "Physician Recruitment" form for them to fill out, along with the recruitment checklist, in case the "Foreign Trained" Section needs to be filled out.
After the Managing Director goes over the letter and makes any changes, prepare the final form. Along with the letter, prepare the Academic Appointment Formand Salary Distribution Sheet for the Department Head signature at one time. After the letter and Academic Form are signed, hold on to the Academic form and Salary Distribution Sheet and send the letter on to the next signature. When the letter is ready to go to the Dean's office, attach the Academic Form and Salary Distribution Sheet. The package is sent to the Dean's office in duplicate.
When Letter of Offer is ready to be sent to the new GFT for signature, attach the covering letter and GFT package which contains the following:
- Cover letter from Managing Director (found under mydocument/templates/coverltrnewGFT.template
- GFT Agreement and benefits information
- Shared Health application package
- Physician Pharmacy agreement, along with the Specific purposes accounts handbook
- U of M Academic Personal Information form found on UM Website under Human Resources
- New Faculty Orientation Binder
hematology no tithe
For the GFT agreement Haematology / Oncology does not contribute to the Tithe. A separate GFT agreement was made showing 0% tithe (this is kept in the same hanging folder as the other agreement). Please send this GFT Agreement to the Haematology / Oncology physicians.
Should the GFT ask for more information pertaining to benefits, you can refer them to UMG's website, as UMG takes care of GFT benefits. Click on "Other programs"; then they can click on "Geographical Full-time Staff' and "Supplemental Health Benefit Plan Pamphlet"
The physician is required to meet w/UMG to sign up for benefits.
The physician is also required by the University to provide a copy of the SIN card, to determine Canadian Citizenship or produce a temporary SIN card that starts with the number 9 to ensure the candidate is legally allowed to work in Canada.
Final paperwork required
Once the final contract is ready to be sent to the Dean's office, the following paperwork needs to be sent (in duplicate):
advertised or non-advertised
plus the appropriate items from the sections below
- Personal Information Form (PIF) (now completed with SIN#)
- Salary Distribution Sheet (now with SIN #)
- Letter of Offer
- GFT Agreements
- Copy of the Appendix I & II of the GFT package
- Copy of SIN Card
- Banking Information Form (Form)
- Original Academic Appointment Form (form)
- Original SOS (with or without ad)With Advertisement | Without Advertisement
- Employment Authorization (if non-Canadian)
- Summary of Search
- 3 reference letters
documentation updates required upon hiring
Once the final signed contract is complete and sent to the Dean's office, contract and package have gone to the Dean's Office, update the following lists (if applicable):
- Appointment end date list- under my documents/lists (word document)
- GFT Analysis - under my documents/list (excel document). GFT Analysis is only updated for a new GFT or one that has left
- UG-PG positions Int. Med update (excel document-may not need to be updated)
- Section Head Review List (excel document - may not need to be updated)
- Black Financial Binder (for any future salary changes)
Copies of Contracts
- original to Shared Health, along with the completed original of the MRCS form
- copy for the individuals file, along with a copy of the completed MRCS form
- copy to the physician
U of M CONTRACTS
parties to inform about new contracts