Guidelines for Basic Scientists (PhD) Faculty
|Policy:||Guidelines for Basic Scientists (PhD) Faculty|
|Policy Nr:||Sec 02 - 12|
|Target Review Date:||2021-01-08|
|Main Stakeholder:||Department Head|
(PhD faculty) members have obligations to the University which include teaching and providing other services to students, study and research, participation in the administrative work of the University and public service directly related to these activities or intended to maintain liaison between the University and the community. (Collective Agreement - UM/UMFA 2016-2017, Article 12, Section 12.1.1)
A PhD faculty member in the Department of Internal Medicine may hold any academic rank in the professional or instructor streams including Professor, Associate Professor, Assistant Professor, Lecturer, Instructor I, Instructor II, and Senior Instructor.
In the Department of Internal Medicine while expectations and needs may vary between Sections, a minimum level of contribution is required. Specifically:
- An average of five hours of teaching per year which would include direct contact teaching, seminars or tutorial sessions
- A minimum attendance of 20% of section meetings
- A minimum attendance of 20% of section rounds
- Professional services including services on departmental faculty and University committees, leadership in professional organizations, reviewing manuscripts and other editorial endeavors, service on panels and commissions, and or consultation on public agencies is required.
- Research is defined to include the systematic collection and analysis of information for generation of new knowledge. It is expected that PhD faculty in the Department have a minimum of 75% protected time for research.
Reviews will be undertaken approximately once every three to five (3 – 5) years in accordance with departmental policies and procedures.
With 75% protected time, it is expected that researchers will have funding from one or more national agencies along with funding from local sources, have one or more full time research trainees or supervision of fellows. Publication would be expected to be in the range of three to five (3 - 5) per year with one or more in a high impact journal.