External Elective - PGME - Trainees from other Institutions Coming to the University of Manitoba
'Bold text'This page explains the process for residents visiting here from elsewhere, and for our residents visiting elsewhere.
A resident visiting here from elsewhere
_______________________________________________________ Name of Resident
________________________________________________________ Resident's Home University & Program & PGY Level
________________________________________________________ Period & Dates
________________________________________________________ Date information / form sent to PGME
________________________________________________________ Date systems access was applied for / received
________________________________________________________ Date eChart Access was applied for / received [this is the Excel form that goes to MSAS / PMAO first, for visiting electives]
________________________________________________________ Date Accuro was applied for / received: email request to email@example.com
________________________________________________________ Date Paging registration initiated
___________________________________________ Date that Echart Access Instructions were sent to the resident
___________________________________________ Date that first day instructions were sent to the resident
____________________________________________ Date that ID Badge request was submitted to Managing Director for signature Give Paging the Resident's Name and Cell Phone Number
- This article applies to out of province electives coming to U of M only
- Our residents going to another university: see External Elective - PGME - University of Manitoba Trainees planning an Elective at Another Institution
PGME - There is information on the PGME website about accepting visiting out of province electives to the U of M: http://umanitoba.ca/faculties/health_sciences/medicine/education/pgme/media/Electives_for_Visiting_Trainees.pdf
UGME - There is information on the UGME website about accepting visiting out of province students to the U of M: http://umanitoba.ca/faculties/health_sciences/medicine/education/undergraduate/electives.html
1. Review dates that are being requested with current schedule to ensure the resident can be accommodated.
2. Contact the resident for information that PGME will need - the information PGME will need is in this sample elective request form: You may use an elective form like this one to ask for information Media:Elective Info1 - GI - Request Form - BLANK.docx
3. Once the elective trainee has been accepted by you / your program, send a confirmation email to both the resident and to PGME at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information: (you may just send to PGME the form the resident just sent you, as long as it has: )
- Trainee name
- Trainee email address
- Exact dates of elective
- Supervisor of the resident
- Rotation site (i.e. HSC, SBH)
The PGME office will then proceed with sending the required documentation for CPSM licensure, CMPA liability insurance and PHIA is then forwarded to the resident for completion by the FPGME office.
4. Determine who the resident’s preceptor will be during that time Dr. ____________________
5. If the resident is completing their rotation at St. Boniface Hospital, you will need to notify the appropriate person(s) at SB so that they are aware they will have a trainee on their first day, add them to the call schedule, etc. Also, any requests for SBH EPR Access for visiting out of province electives need to be sent in by a SBH employee - in order to this, please send an email to Christine Sawatzky (Site Contact for St. Boniface Hospital)]] with the residents information and the time frame of the elective, and she will send in the paperwork. As well, ask [[Christine Sawatzky (Site Contact for St. Boniface Hospital)]] for an ID form for the Visiting Elective Resident. Please see SBH ID badge.
There is information on the PGME website about accepting visiting out of province electives to the U of M:
When all documentation is received from the trainee and “approved” by the PGME office, it is then forwarded appropriately. Both the elective trainee and Program Administrator are notified by email that the elective documents are complete and the rotation can commence.
7. Postgraduate external trainees are registered with the University of Manitoba only as an elective resident, therefore:.
8. Program Administrator to complete the Facilities Access Card (HSC ID badge): obtain resident's home info to complete the form which is available see HSC ID badge, have Managing Director sign the form (to have resident obtain HSC ID badge).
After hours access to HSC / John Buhler JBRC
If resident is rotating in Gastro or Hepatology, they will need after hours access to Buhler 8 where the GI & Hep resident room is. Establish access to JBRC 7&8
After hours access at SB
- If an out of province resident is rotating at SB, they don't necessarily require a SB security ID card, but they require after-hours access to rooms at SBH (ie PARIM Lounge, ORs)
- See Key & building access for SBH
Program Administrator to apply for 2 separate computer access for the resident: EPR & Accuro:
Access 1: Account Systems Access - EPR for the resident - the form for the PA to complete is located here: http://services.manitoba-ehealth.ca/acctManagement.html
- This form asks Digital Health to set up systems access, EPR & PACS
- EPR stands for Electronic Patient Record. It is used to some degree at all acute care sites in the WRHA and at HSC, and is also used for Admission, Transfer and Discharge (ADT) purposes.
- This form asks for EPR access
- Program Administrator can be both the Authorized Sponsor and the Authorized Account Requestor
- any requests for SBH EPR Access for visiting out of province electives need to be sent in by a SBH employee - in order to do this, please send an email to [[Christine Sawatzky (Site Contact for St. Boniface Hospital)]] with the resident's information and the time frame of the elective, and she will send in the paperwork.
- This form asks Digital Health to set up systems access, EPR & PACS
Access 2: eChart for the resident - the for for the PA to complete is located here - Media:Request for eChart - VISITING ELECTIVE form-echart-acmt BLANK.xls and send this form to MSAS (see contact info on that page) HOWEVER, for Visiting Elective Residents, they need to apply for a visiting elective PHIA Training first
- email email@example.com for approval for Accuro for Visiting Elective Residents
Forms & Templates – PHIA training specific to Visiting Elective Residents
See PHIA for general PHIA info
- Identify yourself as ‘medical staff’ when completing the training and/or signing the PHIA pledge so this information is forwarded to our Medical Staff Administrative Services office so they can record your participation.
|Is this required only for residents or also for e.g. new physicians? If latter it should move to PHIA_training#Process_-_WRHA.2FShared_Health. When the resident completes the online/LMS training, a "certificate" is sent to them electronically|
- Once the resident has completed the PHIA course, and sends an electronic copy of the PHIA Certificate of Training, the Program Administrator is to email it to firstname.lastname@example.org Delay in completing the PHIA training may result in your inability to obtain access to key clinical systems throughout the region.
12. The elective trainee is required to bring their home program ID badge, lab coat, etc.
15. Provide the resident with the link to Maps
Obtaining Dictation Codes Email Service Desk at email@example.com with a copy to Cathy Pope & Ami Buckingham Subject Line to read: P-DAT Account Set up Spreadsheet to Service Desk & Cathy Pope & Ami Buckingham to include: Resident Name Resident Contact Phone Number Resident Training Program Whether trainee is Resident or Fellow (all of ours are Residents) Cathy Pope & Ami Buckingham will send an email to the resident with their e-Signature code and their password for the dictation system and they will also send you the residents e-Signature code for the Excel file Remind PAs to send out instructions and Dr. Wong's sample letter to all residents in all programs aobut how to dicate a letter & Transcription Manager can also provide one-on-one training / group training to your program *Department file share INTMED_ADMIN_EDUC2 N:\My Documents \postgrad all - dictation
16. The elective trainee can obtain a “temporary” U of MB library card upon request to the Medical Library (bring proof of elective confirmation from PGME).
Request for Observerships
Observerships, ie a person not currently registered with any university, as neither a medical student, or a medical resident, and who want to "shadow" a physician: Observerships are not licensable by CPSM, they cannot be registered with CMPA, and therefore are not accepted at the University of Manitoba.