External Elective - PGME - Trainees from other Institutions Coming to the University of Manitoba

From U of M Internal Medicine Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

This page explains the process for residents visiting here from elsewhere, and for our residents visiting elsewhere.

A resident visiting from elsewhere


_______________________________________________________ Name of Resident / Student

________________________________________________________ Program & Level & Home University

________________________________________________________ Period & Dates

________________________________________________________ Date information / form sent to PGME

________________________________________________________ Date systems access & eChart Access & Accuro were applied for / received

Interro-01.gif since eChart and Accuro/System go through different processes, should that be two lines?

________________________________________________________ Pager Number assigned to Resident

________________________________________________________ Date Paging registration initiated

___________________________________________ Date that Echart Access & Accuro Instructions were sent to the resident

___________________________________________ Date that first day instructions were sent to the resident

____________________________________________ Date that ID Badge request was submitted

This article applies to out of province electives only - our residents access is applied for by PGME.

PGME - There is information on the PGME website about accepting visiting out of province electives to the U of M: http://umanitoba.ca/faculties/health_sciences/medicine/education/pgme/media/Electives_for_Visiting_Trainees.pdf

UGME - There is information on the UGME website about accepting visiting out of province students to the U of M: http://umanitoba.ca/faculties/health_sciences/medicine/education/undergraduate/media/Electives_Policy_Procedures-6.16.17.pdf

1. Review dates that are being requested with current schedule to ensure the resident can be accommodated.

2. Contact the resident for information that PGME will need - the information PGME will need is in this sample elective request form: You may use an elective form like this one to ask for information Media:Elective Info1 - GI - Request Form - BLANK.docx

3. Once the elective trainee has been accepted by you / your program, send a confirmation email to both the resident and to PGME at regpgme@umanitoba.ca with the following information: (you may just send to PGME the form the resident just sent you, as long as it has: )

  • Trainee name
  • Trainee email address
  • Exact dates of elective
  • Supervisor of the resident
  • Rotation site (i.e. HSC, SBH)

The PGME office will then proceed with sending the required documentation for CPSM licensure, CMPA liability insurance and PHIA is then forwarded to the resident for completion by the FPGME office.

4. Determine who the resident’s preceptor will be during that time Dr. ____________________

5. If the resident is completing their rotation at St. Boniface Hospital, you will need to notify the appropriate person(s) at SB so that they are aware they will have a trainee on their first day, add them to the call schedule, etc. Also, any requests for SBH EPR Access for visiting out of province electives need to be sent in by a SBH employee - in order to this, please send an email to Christine Sawatzky (Site Contact for St. Boniface Hospital)]] with the residents information and the time frame of the elective, and she will send in the paperwork. As well, ask [[Christine Sawatzky (Site Contact for St. Boniface Hospital)]] for an ID form for the Visiting Elective Resident. Please see SBH ID badge.

If trainee requires after-hours access to rooms at SBH see Key & building access for SBH

There is information on the PGME website about accepting visiting out of province electives to the U of M:

When all documentation is received from the trainee and “approved” by the PGME office, it is then forwarded appropriately. Both the elective trainee and Program Administrator are notified by email that the elective documents are complete and the rotation can commence.

6. The elective trainee is then added into VENTIS by PGME, and made “active” by PGME, which then enables the Program Administrator to schedule the resident's specific rotation in VENTIS.

7. Postgraduate external trainees are registered with the University of Manitoba only as an elective resident, therefore:.

8. Program Administrator to complete the Facilities Access Card (HSC ID badge): obtain resident's home info to complete the form which is available see HSC ID badge, have Managing Director sign the form (to have resident obtain HSC ID badge).

After hours access to HSC / John Buhler JBRC

If resident is rotating in Gastro or Hepatology, they will need after hours access to Buhler 8 where the GI & Hep resident room is. Ask HSC Security for a second card, it must be a swipe card with a black stripe on the back, so that access can be requested for the JBRC Building using that card. [The HSC Proxy Card is for hospital access only]. Once the resident has the 2nd swipe card (the one with the black stripe), complete a Buhler 8 After Hours access form (N drive, Gastro, Visiting Electives), email the form to Maria Loureiro mloureiro@hsc.mb.ca 787-4185. Once she grants approval, she will let you and the U of M Building Access Manager for JBRC know, the the resident needs to go see Access Manager (Collin Wooton) 789- 3649 Room S013 Old Med College - same corner of the building where S211 is, but in the basement. [Morning coffee flexes b/w 9:30 and 10:00 am | Lunch 12 - 12:30 pm | Afternoon coffee 2:30 - 2:45 pm | Server is backed up at 3:50 pm] (Coverage for Colin: Sharon Tardi 789-3636 Sharon.tardi@umanitoba.ca accreqbc@umanitoba.ca)

Interro-01.gif TINA the two can be merged - i think there is more detail in mine, and i find some of that detail imporant suzanne doyle See Establish access to JBRC 7&8; is this legitimately different or should it just link there?

After Hours Access at SB

If someone is rotating at SB, they don't necessarily require a SB security ID card, but they require after-hours access to rooms at SBH (ie ORs)

  • Email the name, start and end date of the rotation (if applicable), to
      • Diane Silva dsilva@sbgh.mb.ca 204-235-3021 in Room A1134 SBH
      • She will process the after-hours access request. Full site access, including to the Resident Lounge / PARIM Lounge @ SBH is automatically granted. Processing takes about 24-48 hours, and applicant is to go to SBH Security to obtain the card. There is a $10 cash deposit required at the time of pick-up, which is refundable when the card is turned in at Security at the end of the elective.
Interro-01.gif TINA - I HAVE A BIT MORE DETAIL IN MY LISTING ABOVE Suzanne Doyle See Key & building access for SBH; is this legitimately different or should it just link there?

Program Administrator to apply for 2 separate computer access for the resident:

  1. Account Systems Access - EPR for the resident - the form for the PA to complete is located here: http://services.manitoba-ehealth.ca/acctManagement.html
    • This form asks Digital Health to set up systems access, EPR & PACS
      • EPR stands for Electronic Patient Record. It is used to some degree at all acute care sites in the WRHA and at HSC, and is also used for Admission, Transfer and Discharge (ADT) purposes.
    1. This form asks for EPR access
    2. Program Administrator can be both the Authorized Sponsor and the Authorized Account Requestor
      1. NOTE re PASSWORDS: The password for systems access is the same for EPR access
      2. EPR access will only work once the systems access has been granted
    3. any requests for SBH EPR Access for visiting out of province electives need to be sent in by a SBH employee - in order to do this, please send an email to [[Christine Sawatzky (Site Contact for St. Boniface Hospital)]] with the resident's information and the time frame of the elective, and she will send in the paperwork.
  1. eChart for the resident - the for for the PA to complete is located here - Media:Request for eChart - VISITING ELECTIVE form-echart-acmt BLANK.xls and send this form to MSAS (see contact info on that page)

11. The elective trainee can obtain a “temporary” U of MB library card upon request to the Medical Library (bring proof of elective confirmation from PGME).

NEW - Forms & Templates – PHIA training

PHIA policy

The following message is sent out on behalf of Dr. Brock Wright, Sr. VP (Sent September 2017)

To all medical staff

The WRHA PHIA Policy 10.40.020, Confidentiality of Personal Health Information has recently been amended and now requires all employees and associated personnel take PHIA training at a minimum every three years.

As all WRHA policies apply to medical staff, those of you who received your PHIA training more than three years ago are required to take the refresher course .

There are two options for training – on-line or in person. The on-line training can be accessed through LMS - at https://manitoba-ehealth.learnflex.net/users/index.aspx and the in-person training can be obtained by attending an orientation session in person at any of the sites or WRHA (see schedule of sessions on http://www.wrha.mb.ca/osd/files/Orientation_PHIASessions.pdf).

Remember to identify yourself as ‘medical staff’ when completing the training and/or signing the PHIA pledge so this information is forwarded to our Medical Staff Administrative Services office so they can record your participation.

If you have any questions, you may contact Ms. Marie Butler at mbutler@sharedhealthmb.ca.

  • The PHIA online course is available for you to take in the Manitoba eHealth Learning Management System (LMS). If you do not have an LMS account, you will need to create one before you can register for the course.
  • To find and register for the course please do the following:
    • 1.Log on to the LMS at https://manitoba-ehealth.learnflex.net/
    • 2.Type the key word “PHIA” into the Search box
    • 3.Click the registration button beside the PHIA for WRHA Course
    • 4.Click OK to register
    • 5.Launch the course from the Learning Plan tab
  • Once the resident has completed the PHIA course, please email the resident's name and date completed to msas@wrha.mb.ca NOTE: Delay in completing the PHIA training may result in your inability to obtain access to key clinical systems throughout the region.
Interro-01.gif we have a page PHIA training; is the info for PGME trainees legitimately different or should we update that instead and link there? Even if legit different, can components link there?

12. The elective trainee is required to bring their home program ID badge, lab coat, etc.

Program Administrator can request the pager on behalf of the visiting elective resident.

12. Let resident know that they can pick up their pager and facility access form from you on t heir first day.

13. While the Cost Centre D120070 has to be entered on the Pager Request form, there is no actual fee charged by the Department of Medicine for elective resident pagers (the charge for the duration of the elective is covered by PGME & WRHA). However, if a pager for an elective resident is not returned within 30 days of the last day of the elective rotation, then the Department of Medicine will incur a $50 fee for each month the pager is not returned.

14. Program Administrator to remember to return the Pager:

15. Provide the resident with the link to Maps

Program Administrator may return the pager on behalf of the visiting elective resident.


Arranging for parking

One of our residents visiting elsewhere

If a resident from your program is out of town for an out of province elective, prepare a letter stating the resident's name, PGYx level, name of training program, and that approval has been granted by the program, list the dates / period of the elective, and have the respective Postgraduate Program Director sign the letter.

Request for Observerships

Observerships, ie a person not currently registered with any university, as neither a medical student, or a medical resident, and who want to "shadow" a physician: Observerships are not licensable by CPSM, they cannot be registered with CMPA, and therefore are not accepted at the University of Manitoba.

Related articles

Related articles: