|Policy Nr:||Sec 03 - 03|
|Target Review Date:||2019-09-12|
|Main Stakeholder:||Executive Committee|
- 1 Background
- 2 Purpose
- 3 Policy
- 4 Procedure
- 5 Related articles
Department of Internal Medicine physicians are expected to efficiently and effectively deliver outstanding health care to patients in a timely, reliable and professional manner. Consistent utilization of space, staff and other resources according to previously agreed upon clinic schedules helps the entire organization function optimally.
It is the Department’s responsibility to ensure that assigned clinic time for each faculty member who is assigned clinic time (Clinic Physician) occurs and contractual obligations are met. Holidays and scheduled vacation time preclude scheduled clinics.
The purpose of this policy is to:
- Increase patient access
- Reduce or eliminate staff time required to reschedule patients
- Improve utilization of support staff
- More effectively utilize clinic space
- Improve referring physician satisfaction
- Meet financial projections in divisions and departments consistently
- Maintain accountability of physician's clinical service agreement
- Reduce inconsistency in clinic scheduling thus improving effectiveness of the referral process
Clinic Physicians can request additional clinic cancellations following the #Clinic Physician Cancellation Request Process. The requests should be processed following the #Approver Cancellation Request Process within 3 business days.
Clinic Managers will offer vacated clinic times to other physicians within the clinic.
Scheduled clinics are not to be cancelled or changed with less than 30 days notice, without approval by the Section Head and/or the Department Head. Reasons for approval would include, but are not limited to the following:
- Faculty illness or family illness/emergency
- Plans to attend and or present at a major conference, where the invitations have been issued less than 30 days in advance
- Clinical investigator study-related meetings, where the invitations have been issued less than 30 days in advance
- Jury duty
- Urgent meetings for Senior Administrative Staff
Section Heads will collect a list of Planned Absences for every Clinic Physician in their section. This list will take into account #Personal Absences and #Professional Meetings. The list will be submitted to all relevant Clinic Managers twice a year, no later than May 1st and December 1st.
- plans for vacation
- religious holidays
- professional/board meetings
- lecture attendance
- inpatient attending schedules
- covering other clinic areas
- professional development
- CPD (teaching commitments
The Planned Absences should take into account potential upcoming professional meeting dates for all physicians who plan on attending these meetings.
All other requests for absences should be submitted as soon as the dates for members are known. To request review and approval for a clinic cancellation, the Clinic Physician must follow the #Clinic Physician Cancellation Request Process.
Clinic Cancellations with less than 30 days notice
In the instance of a cancellation with less than 30 days notice, physicians will be invoiced for the costs of re-booking clinics. This charge will not fully cover the cost of the lost clinical time, but merely covers costs to cancel and re-book the clinic.
The Clinic Manager will identify the number of hours it took staff to cancel and re-book the clinic. The hours will be sent to the Managing Director and the Finance Manager, who will in turn invoice the physician directly.
In subsequent instances of a late cancellations, the full cost of the lost clinical time may be invoiced.
In cases where clinics are scheduled and routinely cancelled even with appropriate notice, clinic allocation may be reassigned. This decision will be made by Department Head who will exercise appropriate judgement in determining the course of action to be taken.
Late cancellation charges must be settled within 30 days of the invoice date. Failure to settle these within 30 days will result in a further administration charge being automatically added.
Clinic Physician Cancellation Request Process
To request a clinic cancellation, the requesting physician will need to either fill out the personal Clinic Cancellation Request Form or write an email with the following information:
- Physician's Name:
- Clinic Name and Site:
- Date(s) of Cancelled Clinic(s):
- Rationale for Cancellation:
Approver Cancellation Request Process
- If the request is denied, the form/email will be returned to the physician.
- If approved, copies of the form/email should be forwarded to the following individuals:
- Requesting Physician
- all relevant Clinic Managers