PGME Contact Information
- PGME Accreditation Team: Laura Lamont
- Postgraduate Medical Education
- Rady Faculty of Health Sciences
- 260 Brodie Centre – 727 McDermot Avenue
- Winnipeg, Manitoba, R3E 3P5
- phone: 204-789-3572
- fax: 204-789-3929
- Donna Coulis: 789- 3280 - for booking Dr. Yaffe's calendar
- Wendi Charette: 789-3120
Royal College New Standards of Accreditation: http://www.canera.ca/canrac/general-standards-e
Process for Accreditation Recommendation / Report
The external program reviewers provide a preliminary report with a recommendation to the RCPSC Accreditation Committee. This committee only meets a few times a year, and then provides a final formal ruling. The report flows from the Royal College to the Dean's Office to the program directors of the program that was reviewed.
Accreditation Status: Accredited Program
- Next Regular Accreditation
- Review Action Plan Outcomes Report (APOR):
- External Review
- Residency program has demonstrated acceptable compliance with standards
- Follow up at next site survey (with expectations of ongoing CQI throughout the cycle)
Accreditation Status: Accredited Program on Notice of Intent to Withdraw Accreditation
- Accredited Program on Notice of Intent to Withdraw Accreditation
- One (or more) significant areas for improvement impacting quality of the program with requires follow up prior to the next regular onsite review which can be evaluated via submission of evidence from the program
- The process for this is determined by the Institution (internal review, focused self-study, targeted action)
- Follow up will align with predictable two year timeline
- One (or more) significant areas for improvement impacting the overall quality of the program which requires follow-up prior to the next onsite review and which can best be evaluated by external peer reviewers.
Accreditation Status: Withdrawal of Accreditation
- New Application
Miscellaneous Other Notes
- If a program has a resident match after 2 years without a resident, then that program has to have an Internal Review within one year
- When a preliminary Survey Report is given to a program, and the reviewers ask for a written report Program Response, one has to be provided even if there are no errors or changes to be made to the Survey Report.
- The official report from the Royal College advising the program of the survey results will take several months to be processed, ie, up to 4-5 months.
Steps to follow when booking a date for Accreditation
|☐||Book Room, and back up room|
|☐||Book Postgraduate Program Directors|
|☐||Book Associate Dean - PGME Dr. Clifford Yaffe|
|☐||Book Department Head Dr. Eberhard Renner|
|☐||Book Associate Head - Education Dr. Carmen Hurd|
|☐||Book Section Head - General Internal Medicine Dr. Laura Chisick|
|☐||Book Postgraduate Program Director - General Internal Medicine|
- Please see the sample itinerary from the Royal College: MEDIA: SCHEDULE - RCPSC Descriptor Template Schedule Sample 1.pdf
- Provide a draft to the PGME office, they will then have the Royal College review the draft, and, if necessary, will provide any recommendations for changes
Assistance Logging in to CanAMS
- Deni Laliberte
- 613-730-8177 ex 413
- Kate Taylor
- Data Entry and Validation Assistant Educational Standards Unit — Adjointe à la saisie et la validation de données Unité des normes éducatives
- T 613 730 8177 / 167 T 1 800 668 3740 / 167
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
- 774 Echo Drive, Ottawa, ON, Canada K1S 5N8
- Collège royal des médecins et chirurgiens du Canada
- 774, promenade Echo, Ottawa (ON) Canada K1S 5N8
- Login Instructions
- Using a web browser (Google Chrome is recommended), go to https://www.canams.ca. We suggest that you create a bookmark or shortcut to this link for ease of use.
- The Royal College single sign-on page appears. Enter your Royal College ID and password.
- You will be asked to enter your Royal College ID with the email address on file with the Royal College (the same address to which this email has been sent).
- You will then receive an email with a link that allows you to set a new password.
- After the password is reset successfully, the confirmation screen appears.
- Go back to https://www.canams.ca and log in with your Royal College ID and password.
- Your dashboard appears. You are now ready to use CanAMS.
|☐||Book a Room, and book a back up room, from 7:30 am to 5:00 pm|
Catering for Accreditation
- Run as outlined in the RCPSC standards of accreditation and CanERA - CanERA is a 21st century accreditation system that incorporates and innovates on global best practices in accreditation, representing a methodological, dynamic and multi-faceted approach to the evaluation of residency programs and institutions.CanERA
- Discipline Specific Standards of Accreditation are located on the PGME Website: B http://umanitoba.ca/faculties/health_sciences/medicine/education/pgme/accreditation_templates.html
SUZANNE'S THOUGHTS ON ACCREDITATION
- there are 4 necessary committees
1. RPC 2. CC 3. Selection 4. Resident Wellness Safety Wellbeing - TO BE DONE STILL FOR ALMOST ALL PROGRAMS
- Files to be named according to standard set by PGME
- Resident files to be both electronic & paper
- CAN I SEE GIM IN CAN AMS?
- The whole RPC should be involved in reviewing the Can AMS documents
- How to print as a document ?