This article explains how to arrange travel for visitors.
The secretary will work with the visitor to select appropriate flights.
Visitor travel that is paid from Practice Plan (UMG tithe/overhead), which is not the same as U of M funds, does not get booked using the Concur system.
The Business Administrator can book the flights or if preferred the visitor can proceed to book their own flights. When booking the flights, please book directly with the Airlines, DO NOT book with Expedia, Hotwire, etc.
Secretaries do not have access to the department credit card; the secretary will email the following information to the Business Administrator (copied to Managing Director and Finance Manager), so that the flights are booked ASAP:
- First name:
- Last name:
- Passenger email address:
- Passenger contact phone number (cell):
- Seat preference:
- Frequent flyer program:
- Frequent flyer number:
- Date of birth:
- Departure airport:
For travel to/from outside of Canada include:
- Passport number:
- Passport country of issue:
- Passport expiry date:
For overseas flights include:
- Meal preference/dietary restrictions:
If the guest requires special assistance, please have them contact the airline once the reservation is complete.
- Wheelchair Assistance
- Deaf or hard of hearing
- Blind or visually impaired
The Business Administrator then sends flight information back to secretary. The section secretary will advise visitor and resumes all travel itinerary and arrangements.
Section secretaries will confirm the dates of hotel stays with the Business Administrator; since secretaries do not have access to the department credit card, the Business Administrator will book the hotel.
Inn at the Forks is the department's preferred hotel.
If the section or visitor chooses to book their own hotel, visitors may pay for the hotel themselves and get reimbursed later (room & taxes only). To be reimbursed see the #Submitting Receipts section below.
Sections may make special arrangements to take visitors out for meal(s). For more details, see the Hospitality expenses page for policy and guidelines.
The department will cover all other reasonable expenses for meals during travel and stay (e.g. breakfast,lunch, dinner, and also meals on flights etc.)
All original receipts and a list of attendees is required.
The department will cover all other reasonable expenses incidentals during travel and stay up to $10CDN per day. It includes but is not limited to such items as gratuities, laundry, dry cleaning, bottled water, phone calls home.
Original receipts are required.
Ground transportation and/or parking expenses are reimbursed to visitors once original receipts are submitted. Taxi vouchers are not an option.
Lyft or Uber do not currently provide service in Winnipeg but that | TappCar is a viable local alternative.
If the section desires to provide the visitor an honorarium, email the Finance Manager a minimum of one week in advance and include the following information:
- Name of visitor
- Date(s) of visit
- Exactly how the cheque is to be made payable ie. Dr. John Smith or John Edward Smith Medical Corp. It is important that you ask the guest how they would like the honorarium made out.
- Phone number of the person to call when the cheque is ready or the mailing address to send it on
- Amount of the honorarium - the Finance Manager can provide assistance with questions on appropriate amounts
- Indicate currency (if not specified it will be sent in Canadian funds)
- Identify the section covering the expense
The Finance Manager will arrange for a cheque to be ready at least one business day prior to the event. The person that requested the cheque will be called when the cheque is ready for pick-up. They will be responsible for picking up the cheque in the University Medical Group main office at S107-750 Bannatyne Avenue in the Medical Services Building within the University of Manitoba. The cheque is to be given to the doctor arranging the visit for presentation to the visitor while they are in Winnipeg.
Send an email to the Finance Manager with the information below. Print your email and attach it to the original receipts and submit to the Finance Manager. The Finance Manager will get the email and know to watch for the hard copy in the mail with the receipts. An acceptable receipt must show proof of payment.
- Name of the person to be reimbursed with exactly how the cheque is to be made payable ie. Dr. John Smith or John Edward Smith Medical Corp
- Mailing address for guests.
- Reimbursements to members of the Department of Internal Medicine will be made by direct deposit and not by cheque. Identify if they want the reimbursement to be done to a personal account or corporate account. If nothing is specified they will be reimbursed to the same account they receive UMG draws from. Members will know what this means.
- Reason for reimbursement ie. recruitment, visiting speaker, CaRMS Match, etc. (if it was for recruitment or visiting speaker include the name of the guest and the dates of the visit)
- Identify the section covering the expense
- Include your name as the person doing the submission in case there are questions
- If there is more than one receipt put a summary with the above details
- If payment was made in currency other than Canadian Dollars, see Foreign Currency Transactions.
- If the receipt is for food the itemized receipt MUST be included. Alcohol is not generally reimbursed but must be on a separate receipt and requires approval Department Head approval.
If the person doing the submission is not the same person that manages the Administrative Fund for the section please ensure you copy that person on your submission.
DIM Travel Submission form is not designed for submitting visitor travel expenses and is not required.