PGME Out of Province Elective Rotation Process
This page explains the process for residents visiting here from elsewhere, and for our residents visiting elsewhere.
- 1 A resident visiting from elsewhere
- 1.1 8. Program Administrator to apply for various computer access for the resident:
- 1.2 11. Program Administrator can request the pager on behalf of the visiting elective resident.
- 1.3 16. Program Administrator may return the pager on behalf of the visiting elective resident.
- 1.4 17. Arranging for parking
- 1.5 One of our residents visiting elsewhere
- 1.6 Request for Observerships
- 2 Related articles
A resident visiting from elsewhere
___________________________________________ Name of Resident / Student
___________________________________________ Program & Level & Home University
___________________________________________ Period & Dates
___________________________________________ Date systems access & Echart Access & Accuro were applied for / received
___________________________________________ Pager Number assigned to Resident
___________________________________________ Date Paging registration initiated
___________________________________________ Date that Echart Access & Accuro Instructions were sent to the resident
___________________________________________ Date that first day instructions were sent to the resident
This article applies to out of province electives only - our residents access is applied for by PGME.
PGME - There is information on the PGME website about accepting visiting out of province electives to the U of M: http://umanitoba.ca/faculties/health_sciences/medicine/education/pgme/media/Electives_for_Visiting_Trainees.pdf
UGME - There is information on the UGME website about accepting visiting out of province students to the U of M: http://umanitoba.ca/faculties/health_sciences/medicine/education/undergraduate/media/Electives_Policy_Procedures-6.16.17.pdf
1. Review dates that are being requested with current schedule to ensure the resident can be accommodated. You may use an elective form like this one to ask for information Media:Elective Info1 - GI - Request Form - BLANK.docx
2. Determine who the resident’s preceptor will be during that time Dr. ____________________
3. If the resident is completing their rotation at St. Boniface Hospital, you will need to notify the appropriate person(s) so that they are aware they will have a trainee on their first day, add them to the call schedule, etc. Also, any requests for SBH EPR Access for visiting out of province electives need to be sent in by a SBH employee - in order to this, please send an email to [[Christine Sawatzky (Site Contact for St. Boniface Hospital)]] with the residents information and the time frame of the elective, and she will send in the paperwork. As well, ask [[Christine Sawatzky (Site Contact for St. Boniface Hospital)]] for an ID form for the Visiting Elective Resident.
4. Once the elective trainee has been accepted by you / your program, send a confirmation email to both the resident and to PGME at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information: (you may just send to PGME the form the resident just sent you, as long as it has: )
- Trainee name
- Trainee email address
- Exact dates of elective
- Supervisor of the resident
- Rotation site (i.e. HSC, SBH)
The PGME office will then proceed with sending the required documentation for CPSM licensure, CMPA liability insurance and PHIA is then forwarded to the resident for completion by the FPGME office.
There is information on the PGME website about accepting visiting out of province electives to the U of M:
When all documentation is received from the trainee and “approved” by the PGME office, it is then forwarded appropriately. Both the elective trainee and Program Administrator are notified by email that the elective documents are complete and the rotation can commence.
6. Postgraduate external trainees are registered with the University of Manitoba only as an elective resident, therefore:.
7. Program Administrator to complete the Facilities Access Card (HSC ID badge): obtain resident's home info to complete the form which is available see HSC ID badge, have Managing Director sign the form (to have resident obtain HSC ID badge).
7a. If resident is rotating in Gastro, Hepatology, or Infectious Diseases, ask for a second card, it must be a swipe card, so that access can be requested for the JBRC Building.
8. Program Administrator to apply for various computer access for the resident:
- Account Systems Access - EPR for the resident - for located here: http://services.manitoba-ehealth.ca/acctManagement.html
- This form asks eHealth to set up systems access, EPR & PACS
- Accuro EMR using this form - Media:Request for eChart - VISITING ELECTIVE form-echart-acmt BLANK.xls and send this form to MSAS at MSAS_Residents@wrha.mb.ca
- This form asks for eChart access
- Program Administrator can be both the Authorized Sponsor and the Authorized Account Requestor
- NOTE re PASSWORDS: The password for systems access is the same for eChart access
- eChart access will only work once the systems access has been granted
- any requests for SBH EPR Access for visiting out of province electives need to be sent in by a SBH employee - in order to this, please send an email to [[Christine Sawatzky (Site Contact for St. Boniface Hospital)]] with the residents information and the time frame of the elective, and she will send in the paperwork.
9. The elective trainee can obtain a “temporary” U of MB library card upon request to the Medical Library (bring proof of elective confirmation from PGME).
10. The elective trainee is required to bring their home program ID badge, lab coat, etc.
11. Program Administrator can request the pager on behalf of the visiting elective resident.
12. Let resident know that they can pick up their pager and facility access form from you on their first day.
13. While the Cost Centre 10400162 has to be entered on the Pager Request form, there is no actual fee charged by the Department of Medicine for elective resident pagers (the charge for the duration of the elective is covered by PGME & WRHA). However, if a pager for an elective resident is not returned within 30 days of the last day of the elective rotation, then the Department of Medicine will incur a $50 fee for each month the pager is not returned.
13.a Program Administrator to remember to return the Pager:
14. Provide the resident with the link to Maps
16. Program Administrator may return the pager on behalf of the visiting elective resident.
One of our residents visiting elsewhere
If a resident from your program is out of town for an out of province elective, prepare a letter stating the resident's name, PGYx level, name of training program, and that approval has been granted by the program, list the dates / period of the elective, and have the respective Postgraduate Program Director sign the letter.
Request for Observerships
Observerships, ie a person not currently registered with any university, as neither a medical student, or a medical resident, and who want to "shadow" a physician: Observerships are not licensable by CPSM, they cannot be registered with CMPA, and therefore are not accepted at the University of Manitoba.