Critical illness leave St. Boniface Hospital
From U of M Internal Medicine WikiJump to navigationJump to search
See the St. Boniface Hospital HR manual for information on processing a leave and for processing deadlines.
Critical illness leave entitlement from Service Canada
- An employee who has completed thirty(30) days of employment is eligible to receive up to eight(8) weeks of compassionate care leave for the purpose of providing care or support to a seriously ill family member. A compassionate care leave can be paid up to the maximum number of days available in accordance with Sick leave St. Boniface Hospital otherwise, the leave is unpaid.
- An employee requiring additional leave for compassionate care reasons can apply for such leave as per Compassionate care leave St. Boniface Hospital.
- The leave may be taken over a twenty-six(26) week period and in one or two periods, each at least one week in duration.
- In the event that the death of a family member occurs during this period of leave, the employee shall be eligible for Bereavement leave St. Boniface Hospital.
- The employee must provide their Manager with a medical certificate from the physician of the ill family member:
- verifying that there is a significant risk of death within twenty-six(26) weeks from the earlier of the day the certificate is issued and the day the leave commences, and
- stating that the family member requires care or support of one or more family members.